Friday, November 21, 2008

Mr. Cupcakes!

So last week, Johnny Cupcakes came to Northeastern to speak some words of wisdom to his fans n a bunch of business majors. I missed it when he showed up a couple years ago, so when I heard he was coming back, I knew I had to go. 

I showed up early to get a slice of pizza, a cup of soda, and a nice front-row seat. I also saw Mr. Cupcakes' people setting up their little booth to sell shirts n things. In true Cupcakes fashion, they kept the doors to the auditorium shut until one of the professors/assistant/pizza organizer person started to get angry and made them let the students in. Sad. I knew he would have had an awesome entrance. Oh well. 

Anyway, we were starting late and the professors cut into his time even more by doing some announcements and stuff. Lame sauce. 

So the show got on the road finally. Mr. Cupcakes discussed how he started his business, things to stay away from, and some of the concepts behind the brand. While I was listening, it dawned on me that I completely related to what he was talking about. Whenever he talked about that idiot that notices the details, keeps random stuff cz of the details... THATS ME!! I'm not some sort of psycho junk collector, but I really do like keeping things randomly. Tags, stickers, fliers, packaging... As long as I find it cool, I keep it. They're my source of inspiration.

This is my dream. To have my own company, so I can go in to work, wearing whatever I want, and running it however I want. Have people buying my products. It's me doing things for fun and for the love of it. So, as he went on about creating a memorable experience and putting cupcakes on t-shirts, I began to think... What can I do that's different and random? Sneakers? T-shirts? Backpacks? A restaurant? There are so many ideas. I just need to find my niche. I need to figure out what will be innovative. What will give the brand/product(s) a cult following? How will I have a brand that is memorable and unique?

Only time will tell -- What is my cupcake?